Evaluation-film

 When creating my film, I wanted to take inspiration from many films I had watched in hopes to create an interesting mafia-style film with murder and revenge. I wanted the film to show the perspectives of people working in a mafia and how they felt killing people and how those people affected them. I decided early on that I wanted colour to represent emotions and make a difference on how the characters are projected as, for example, when killing cold-heartedly the saturation would be close to nothing, but when they experience sadness or anger, the colour would be increased just enough for the viewer to notice. I also wanted the film to muffle out noise at certain times to create a feeling of dissociation and 'zoning-out'. This colour effect I took inspiration from is seen in films like Curfew where rooms have different coloured lighting to set the atmosphere and Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street where colour helps emphasise the dramatics and the overall depressing mood of the film.

 I wanted to establish a struggle for both of the characters, so I wanted a couple of shots just to be complete silence in a room or alleyway with the sound of a sigh or groan, I wanted my characters to seem like they were under a lot of mental stress, like how Kate deals with a mental disorder caused by trauma, and her brother has to help look after her in those moments of struggle and pain. I wanted sounds to be extremely effective and one of the most important factors of the film because of the power it holds. I only really wanted music at the end for the credits, using a gunshot and an upbeat powerful song to help show that things get better for the two siblings. All other sound would be diegetic to the characters to keep the movie and the characters feeling real. 

 Another factor I felt was really important was to show the personalities in their clothes and posture, like Kate would wear very sensible and dull clothing, but when her alter switched, she could be seen wearing greens, reds, and her hair wouldn't be neat and rather be let down loose. I had Luke (the brother) be consistently dark and casual with his clothes, giving a Jason Dean vibe like in the film Heathers where the hair was left messy and the coat was long and black. I wanted the siblings to contrast and look similar depending on the situation to show their relationship.

 My main idea to create a Mafia-style film was based on the fashion i had gotten into, it was very dark and grungy and reminded me of many Mafia-looking stories written online. I took that as inspiration for the plot and wanted something else to make the story more complex. Dissociative Identity Disorder is a condition that has been used in Movies like Glass and Split where the character was villainized for the plot and made people wary of the condition, I wanted to have a character with the condition be the person to root for rather than the character to be against in the movie, so I decided to make the story about a DID character living with her trauma and struggles. I knew it would be hard for the audience to interpret a person with the condition so I thought using clothing, colour and sound would help give an idea as to what happen in their mind. The gore part of the film I was inspired to do was from the short film Night Fishing where the film showed dark lighting and disturbing shots within the film.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

short film analysis -1,2,3 & 4

Trainspotting Question